Study Permits and Visa for Canada

Canadian Study Permits for International Students

In order to study in Canada as an international student you may need a study permit. Canadian study permits are only issued after you have been accepted at a Canadian college, university or other accredited educational institution.

Eligibility for a Canadian Study Permit

  1. You have been accepted by a designated learning institution in Canada.
  2. You have to provide proof in the form of bank statements, receipts or certificates that you have enough money to pay for:
    a. Your tuition
    b. Living expenses for you and any accompanying family members (see below)
    c. Return transportation to your home country for you and any accompanying family members
  3. You are a law-abiding citizen and you don’t have a criminal record and are not a security risk. You may have to provide a police certificate.
  4. You are in good health and willing to complete a medical examination.
  5. You can prove that you will leave Canada once you have completed your studies.

Amount to prove (may change per year, please ask fo an update):

  • All provinces except Quebec for a single student: Tuition plus CAN$ 10,000 for a 12-month period (or CAN$ 833 per month)
  • Quebec for a single student: Tuition plus CAN$ 11,000 for a 12-month period (or CAN$ 917 per month)

In some cases, you don’t need a study permit to go to school in Canada (see exceptions below), however for most international students you will be required to show proof of the above in the form of bank statements, receipts, certificates or medical examinations.


In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada.

  • If you wish to study in a short-term course or program
    You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.

    Even if you do not need a study permit, it is a good idea to apply for a permit before you come to Canada. If you decide that you want to continue your studies in another program after you complete your short-term course or program, you must apply through a Canadian visa office outside Canada for a study permit if you do not already have one.
  • Foreign representatives to Canada
  • Members of foreign armed forces

Additional information or documents

After the Canadian visa office receives your application, the visa office might request more information or documents. These may include the following:

  • Medical information
    In most cases, you will need a medical examination. A visa officer will send you instructions if you need one. This may add more than three months to the processing time of your application. 
  • Security information
    If you want to study in Canada, you and any family members who come to Canada with you, and who are 18 years of age and over, may have to provide police certificates.

From the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site

International Student Requirements for a Work Permit

New rules that take effect on June 1, 2014, make it easier for study permit holders to work off campus. Full-time students pursuing an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution will be:

  • eligible to work off campus without a work permit;
  • allowed to work off campus for up to 20 hours per week during a regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled breaks; and
  • able to work off campus immediately rather than waiting six months.

To be able to work in Canada, however, you must be registered and enrolled at your designated learning institution, and you must get a Social Insurance Number from Service Canada.

If you are studying English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL), or participating in general interest or preparatory courses, you will not be eligible to work during your studies, unless you become eligible to apply for a work permit with a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada.

It is your responsibility and your employer’s responsibility to ensure that you are eligible to work off campus without a work permit before you begin working. If you begin working off campus without meeting the eligibility requirements, you may be subject to enforcement action under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.


The Co-op/Internship Work Permit Program is available to international students whose intended employment is an essential part of their program of study in Canada as certified by their Canadian academic institution. The work portion of this program can form up to 50% of the program of study.

Work as a co–op student or intern

For some academic programs, work experience is part of the curriculum. Foreign students who wish to participate in a co-op or internship program must apply for a work permit as well as a study permit.

Determine your eligibility

To be eligible for a work permit, you must meet the following conditions:

  • You must have a valid study permit.
  • Your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada.
  • Your employment must be part of your academic program, certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution.
  • Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% (percent) of the total program of study.

From the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site

To get more information on study in Canada, please write to StudyCanada EU <- click for e-mail